Friday, October 21, 2011

Bulgarian cooking project: Mish Mash

Today I am doing lots of overdue household chores: organizing all of my papers and lesson plans from last year, putting my summer clothes away for the winter, and figuring out how to use what's in my fridge before I go on a trip next week. The last one, clearly the most fun, presented me with the opportunity to continue my Bulgarian cooking project!


Here is my recipe for "Mish-Mash," a mixture of eggs, cheese, tomatoes and peppers. It was a perfect choice because I needed to use up most of those things, anyway:
- one tomato, diced
- two small peppers (I used the green ones, smaller than your average bell pepper)
- one yellow wax pepper (smaller and spicier than the green ones)
- three eggs
- 150 grams of cirene, soft white Bulgarian cheese (Feta is an ok substitute)
- sunflower oil
- chubritsa (a Balkan spice that grows in summer, also known as "savory")

Fry the tomato and peppers with sunflower oil in a large skillet. In a bowl, whisk the eggs together with crumbled cheese. Pour this mixture over the veggies after they're cooked, and continue stirring until firm (just like scrambled eggs). Before serving, sprinkle liberally with chubritsa. An easy-to-make meal, ready in less than 20 minutes! Other recipes included onions and parsley, neither of which I had. It was still just as good without them.

* Note: I modified the recipe on the back of the "Sofia Cartoon Map." 
I found the photo here, with another variation on the same recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment