Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fulbright Events-Extravaganza!

Last week there were a crazy amount of Americans in town, most of whom I had the pleasure to meet at several big events organized by the Fulbright Commission and the American Embassy. It's definitely an advantage to live in Sofia for reasons such as networking and attending events because I don't have to travel like I did last year. It's also fun to show new people around and introduce them to some of my favorite things to do here (although I'm still getting to know the city, myself). Meeting embassy staff is always great because they have a lot of wonderful programs (like youth empowerment initiatives) and are very well-connected to donor networks. I hope to work more closely on some projects I'm learning about through the many different people I've met since arriving here; right now the options seem pretty wide open so I look forward to gaining some practical experience in non-profit organizing and grant projects.

Probably the best part of the weekend was meeting fellow English Teaching Assistants who have been teaching in several different towns across the country. I think we have all had similar experiences so far, but it is inspiring to hear about the others' challenges and perspectives on teaching. Some collaboration and group lesson planning will be made possible through the Dropbox folder we have now set up, and I think that things will be much easier with all the extra input. Teaching this year for me is far easier than last year because I have a better idea of what to expect, which makes every other aspect of living here that much more enjoyable.

Oh, and did I mention that I am surprisingly exhausted from this weekend? Maybe it's due to the fact that I went out late with friends nearly every night and then had organized activities during the day, but I think I'm just not used to being around so many people at one time. It was so exciting to meet new people but also extremely overwhelming. It's nice to have some down-time now and just catch up on house and school work. How very boring, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment