Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Market time

My friend E. and I went to the Women's Market (Zhenski Pazar) in Sofia on Sunday to buy veggies and herbs. It was wonderful. I love going to the market, and how cheap it is! For example, I bought a kilo of pumpkin (I'm too lazy to cut it up on my own) along with some onions, chili peppers, beets and lots of fruit for a grand total of five leva, which is about $3.50. Across the street from the market we found a shop that sells all sorts of tea, coffee and spices AND a Turkish shop that has lots of amazing imported stuff like hummus, basmati rice and Turkish delights. I spent a little more money there than I did at the market, but it was totally worth it. Apparently there is also a Russian grocery nearby where you can find Polish-style pierogi! And, if I can find it one day, I'll visit the Polish grocery in Sofia, too. Don't get me wrong, I love Bulgarian food. And Zhenski Pazar is one of the places where I love to go because I can find fresh local produce and even special things like home-made honey. But it's always good to have a little variety, and it's nice to know that there are so many places to find something different. Next week is Thanksgiving, and to continue our tradition from last year, there will be a party with all the American Fulbrighters who want to join here in Sofia. My friend L promised to bring cranberry sauce and she's even baking a pumpkin pie! Now how's that for "exotic" cuisine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment