Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Settled-ish

Yesterday something wonderful happened: my landlord delivered a nice, big couch with a hide-away bed to my apartment. This was after weeks of waiting for a convenient time to bring it over. I finally had to ask more insistently because I promised some friends that they could stay with me, and I feel bad making people sleep on the floor. To my surprise, I came home from school yesterday and there it was! It's a huge corner piece and definitely adds a lot of warmth and comfort to my living room. Looking around my new apartment at all of the tangible objects (mostly framed photos of family and friends, posters, postcards and tons of books) that have somehow come to represent my life, I feel a little more at home, like this situation is less temporary than it probably is. I just realized that I haven't lived in one place for more than nine months continuously since 2006. But who knows? Maybe I'll still be living here in a year or two. I like it a lot and feel very much at ease in my quiet little apartment by the park, in this city with which I share a name. I don't really have time to be bored, which can be both stressful and exhilarating. I make time to see friends often and I enjoy my routine, even the daily metro ride to work. One of my colleagues asked me yesterday if I'll actually want to come back to Sofia after going to Seattle for the holidays, and I can say that I definitely will, because I am happy here and this is my home. But I don't think I'm ready to settle down in one place permanently yet. At least now I can have as many visitors as I like to share this experience with. So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I guess that more than anything else this year I am thankful for my new couch and the great opportunity I have been given here.

What are you thankful for?    

No comments:

Post a Comment