Saturday, January 14, 2012

David Bowie Nostalgia Rush


I love David Bowie. So does my family. I bought his Greatest Hits album years and years ago and we still listen to it on repeat in the car. Listening to it now reminds me of growing up in Seattle, singing in the car with my mom or riding the bus in high school with my walk-man at full volume (I'm still pretty much a late adopter to technology, though I have upgraded to an Ipod since then). I've been collecting his earlier albums, too, and I love some of the tracks you don't normally hear on the radio, like "Kooks" from Hunky Dory. One of my favorite directors- Wes Anderson- used a lot of his music on the soundtrack to The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) as well as some cover versions of his songs by a Brazilian singer, Seu Jorge, who sang them in Portuguese. His cover of "Life on Mars" is incredibly beautiful. I've seen Bowie live in concert once. He came to Seattle for his (probably) final performance when I was 16 . He definitely hasn't gone on tour again since. My mom surprised me with tickets and him being my favorite singer EVER, I was very excited to go. It's still my favorite memory with my mother. She would always do cool stuff like that with me and my brother, and made a lot of our dreams a reality. That's how I was able to travel abroad for the first time when I went to El Salvador. While I was in Seattle over the holidays somehow this music and the memories it stirs up, combined with the familiar cityscapes we passed while driving around, really made me nostalgic and miss that place in a way I rarely feel. While I don't really identify with it anymore, there are so many parts of my life that are intertwined with my hometown and I know that wherever I go in the world, there is a place I can always go back to that pulls me in like gravity. It's a very comfortable feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment