Sunday, January 22, 2012

Winterish

Phew! I've been back in Sofia for two weeks and the time that's already passed seems like a blur. After the first week spent adjusting to the time difference and feeling pretty homesick, I started to get used to my normal life again. I met up with friends, had some nice chats with colleagues over coffee, and even went ice skating with two of my students. I've been ice skating twice this week, in fact, and I have to say that it is one of the only redeeming qualities about Sofia in the winter. While I love looking outside at a perfect white blanket of snow over everything, mostly I think crap, I don't want to go out in this! Outdoor ice skating, however, makes it just about bearable. It's a fun way to warm up in this weather, no matter how terrible a skater I am.

Another fun activity I enjoyed last weekend was horseback riding with my friend K. We drove out to a place on the other side of Mount Vitosha and spent a couple of hours with the horses, taking pictures and enjoying the scenery. Everything was so much more beautiful with the snowy backdrop. The riding instructors were very knowledgeable and made sure we were comfortable riding before letting us go fast or do anything remotely dangerous. The riding center is called "Adgor" and you can find directions and more information here.


More than anything I think that time is passing by so quickly because I'm happy here. I feel lucky to have so many fantastic people around me and I'm trying to appreciate this experience as much as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment